Our team of trusted GPs offer skin checks, examining moles and other skin blemishes for possible signs of skin cancer. We use the latest in technology to monitor changes in the appearance of moles, skin spots and blemishes, and can treat skin cancers and perform excisions.
Whether you only have a few spots that you are concerned about, or you want to routinely plan a full-body skin check, we are here to help.
It is essential to understand the importance of regular skin-checks and the risks of skin cancer, and mole-mapping which includes full-body skin checks is available at our practice.
Please call our skin clinic on (03) 9510 5500 to book your skin check.
Our skin and mole check services include:
Our Skin Check Doctors
Skin Checks FAQs
Every year, in Australia skin cancers account for approximately 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers, and over 1000 people die of melanoma. We have one of the highest incidences of skin cancer in the world and that is why it is important we should look after our skin and proactively look to catch skin cancers early.
What you see yourself might not always give you the full picture. Quite often we see patients who attend for review of a concerning spot that turns out to be harmless, and incidentally, we find other skin spots that require further attention.
It is important to remember that you will always benefit from a skin check, no matter what skin type you have or what background you come from. If you answer YES to any of the below questions, we recommend a full body skin check or mole mapping to help you have piece of mind about your skin:
- moles or spots that I am concerned or not sure about?
- over 100 moles?
- previous history of skin cancer?
- used a solarium in the past?
- fair skin, and skin that burns easily?
- a family history of melanoma or other skin cancers?
- I am over the age of 40?
We also recommend skin checks if one of your existing moles changes colour, size, shape or has started to itch or bleed.
Mole mapping (Total Body Photography) is a comprehensive skin cancer examination that includes a full-body skin check, total-body photography and macrophotography of skin spots.
Utilising the latest in mole mapping technology (Dermengine) for our skin cancer checks, we can create a photographic record of your skin and moles. This will serve as a baseline for your future skin checks and assist your GP to define if a spot is totally new, or if any changes have occurred in pre-existing moles.
When you book for mole mapping, we expect the consultation to take up to 60 minutes, and will involve:
- Undressing down to your underwear and take off any jewellery for the examination.
- Discussing your relevant medical history, history of sun exposure (including burns or use of solarium’s), as well as a family history of skin cancer.
- Total-body photography – a series of 28 photos of your body. This process takes about 20 minutes by our practice nurse. During follow-up visits, these photos are retaken and compared to look for changes.
- Your doctor will then perform a full-body skin check using a dermatoscope to light up and magnify individual spots on your skin. The polarised light allows us to see details that would otherwise not be visible. Macro-photos will be taken of any skin spots that require monitoring, and these will be retaken at follow-up visits to look for changes.
At the end of your mole mapping appointment, we will have a better understanding about your risk of skin cancer and provide you with recommendations for:
- If you need to return to remove any abnormal spots or to monitor.
- Your recommended frequency for future skin-checks.
Mole-mapping and full-body skin cancer checks are essential to reduce your risk of skin cancer.
In Australia, we have one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world: More than 60% of Australians will get skin cancer before they turn 70 and over 2,000 Australians are dying of skin cancer each year. It is important to establish good habits of performing routine skin checks and mole checks.
We have been helping thousands of patients in Melbourne with effective skin checks and treatments, so If you have not booked a skin check in a while, come, and see us at our practice in Prahran.